[Histonet] CLIA qualified

Lester Raff MD LRaff <@t> uropartners.com
Tue Mar 20 14:26:08 CDT 2012

This is exactly what we have done in our lab.  Our grossing techs stay
for a few years until they leave for grad school, med school, official
PA school, etc.  We really enjoy the variety of people we have had
working for us, and our proud of the places they have moved on to.

Lester J. Raff, MD
Medical Director
UroPartners Laboratory
2225 Enterprise Dr. Suite 2511
Westchester, Il 60154
Tel 708.486.0076
Fax 708.492.0203
-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jay
Lundgren
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:21 PM
To: Bruce Gapinski
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] CLIA qualified

Bruce,

     You need a recent college grad with the requisite hours of science
courses.  If a PA would be overkill, I suspect you need someone to just
describe your small bx's and dump them in a cassette.
     In the facilities where I have worked where they have such a
position,
the "grossing tech" with a B.S. makes much less than a HT (ASCP) with a
high school diploma.  It is a position of great responsibility, with low
pay.  I would start in the neighborhood of $10- $12. an hour, but I have
no
idea what that equates to in California money.  About 40-50% what you
pay a
starting Histotech.
     By the way, I would suggest you hire someone with no experience
and train them yourselves.  No experience equals no bad habits.  Finding
person with the right attitude, who understands that the Histology
lab literally deals with matters of life and death, is the hard
part.  Technique can be taught.

                                                        Sincerely,

                                                             Jay A.
Lundgren M.S., HTL (ASCP)