[Histonet] End-point of decalcification vs. Ion exchange resins

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 14:14:35 CDT 2012

If you do that all the advantages of using the ion-exchange resin will be lost.
Simply determine the end point of the decalcification by other usual and more "traditional" methods, like specimen bending or a pressure/penetration test. You could also use X-ray with a Faxitron.
René J.

--- On Tue, 3/13/12, André K <akoug <@t> hotmail.com> wrote:

From: André K <akoug <@t> hotmail.com>
Subject: [Histonet] End-point of decalcification vs. Ion exchange resins
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 2:24 PM

Hi,

I've read at a couple of places that you can't use the chemical test to determine the end-point of decalcification if you used an ion-exchange resin for the decalcification. I understand that calcium ions are captured by the resin, therefore they can't be precipitated by the ammonium oxalate. My question is : Since you need to refresh the decalcifying solution prior to the test, would it be possible to perform the test by switching to a resin-free solution just before performing the test?

Thanks for your answer
Andre