[Histonet] Thick Sections cut at 8 microns and up

Bharti Parihar bhartologist <@t> gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 22:03:02 CST 2012

Hello Hitsonetters! I worked on a lab today for my Histology program which
called for cutting brain sections at 12 microns. The lab we are doing is
Weils to demonstrate myelin. Man oh man was it hard to cut 12 micron
sections. Apparently 10 microns work for this stain as well which I managed
to do that more easily than 12 but I used the idea of using a small brush
to help guide the section down the knife plate like when cutting frozen
sections so it wouldn't instantly roll up into a tube which is what the 12
micron sections kept doing. Any tricks to cutting thick sections?
Suggestions for the student here? Thanks.
-Bharti Parihar