[Histonet] Congo red

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 2 04:35:07 CST 2012

Is it ONE particular case that is giving you problems, or ALL cases of
amyloid? Maybe just the control?

If the amyloid is a large deposit, that has been in the patient for a long
time, the beta pleats can get warped, and the Congo red will be very pale to
no staining. In those cases, we:
- Use the Auramine-Rhodamine fluorescence scope (hit slide with green light)
on the Congo red stained tissue. Congo red amyloid will fluoresce orange
against a black background.
- Do a crystal violet stain. Amyloid will be pink violet against a blue
purple background.
- Do a Thioflavin T stain. Use the FITC fluorescence microscope (hit slide
with blue light). TFT will fluoresce yellow against a black background.

All the amyloid stains have a weakness when it comes to staining amyloid.
There isn't one that works all the time. If the Congo red is working fine,
then that's the only stain we do. But if the Congo red isn't staining
correctly (our control is great, but the patient's tissue is weak to no
staining), then we do one or more of the above options.

If you need the crystal violet or TFT procedure, let me know.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073
The opinions expressed are mine, and do not reflect those of my employer.