[Histonet] RE: Jones/PAMS

Elizabeth Cameron Elizabeth.Cameron <@t> jax.org
Thu Mar 1 13:27:49 CST 2012

Just wanted to give a quick update on this.  I had a suggestion for using thiosemicarbazide for 10 minutes after the periodic acid, and of all the things we tried, this was the only thing that worked.  It eliminated the nuclear staining and the capillaries are now picking up the silver (as they should be!).  Unfortunately, I accidently deleted the email that suggested this so I don't know who to thank, but it was a great suggestion!
Liz

From: Elizabeth Cameron
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:17 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Jones/PAMS

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a Jones/PAMS stain that is not working properly. This is something we don't do often.  The last time we did it was a year and a half ago, and it seemed fine at the time.
We have tried 3 or 4 protocols, including an ammoniacal silver, and it is still not working properly.  In some protocols, our red cells are staining but the capillaries in the glomeruli do not seem to be picking up the silver.  In other protocols, there are nuclei of some cells that should not be staining that are, but again, the capillaries are not.  We are working on mouse tissue that is fixed in NBF.  The strange thing is the stain seems to be working well on Bouins and Telly's fixed tissue.  I even tried mordanting in Bouins!  We have tried multiple kidneys with the same results.  We are on new bottles of silver and periodic acid, although our methenamine has been around a while.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Liz