[Histonet] In FL, who can perform IHC/ISH?

Sally Price sprice2003 <@t> gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 12:29:08 CDT 2012

I realize that this is a controversial topic, bu t I'm looking for a
definitive answer to the question of who can perfrom IHC and ISH in
Florida.  I ask this because, in addition to attempting to comply with the
Federal CLIA regs governing labs, Florida has personnel licensure regs that
cover our staff.  So, can an ASCP-registered technician (HT, MLT) handle
these procedures, or does it require a technologist (HTL, MT)?  And what
about unregistered/unlicensed people who work in physicians-office labs?
I'm especially interested in receiving feedback from the board members of
the FL Society for Histotechnology and respresentatives from the FL
Department of Health's division on Clinical Lab Personnel.