[Histonet] Sections washing off slides

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Sat Jul 28 10:36:41 CDT 2012

How old the sections are may give you some clue about if they were initially mounted on (+) slides or not.
In any event, I would try to soften the mounting medium first with heat. Try to displace the coverslip with your finger when the mounting medium softens. It usually does.
If not, use warm xylene to remove the coverslip in the least amount of time possible and instead of HIER try to use protease and all steps as gently as possible.
René J.

________________________________
From: "Stoll, Kathryn" <kstoll <@t> mcw.edu>
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 3:47 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Sections washing off slides

I have some old H&E slides that I would like to try IHC staining on.  I am having trouble keeping the tissue on the slide.
I put a slide in xylene to remove the cover slip and eventually the section floated off the slide when I tried to rehydrate.
The second time I tried Mount-Quick from Newcomer Supply and was able to put the section on a charged slide.  The section stayed on the slide but was loose after hydration.  It was just hanging on after retrieval and did not stain well.
I have a limited number of slides.  If anyone has experience in this area and knows the best way to keep tissue on a slide I would really appreciate your advice.  Thanks in advance.

Kathryn Stoll, HT(ASCP)
Department of Pathology
Medical College of Wisconsin
9200 W Wisconsin Ave