[Histonet] Negative controls and CAP

Settembre, Dana settembr <@t> umdnj.edu
Mon Jul 16 07:22:23 CDT 2012

Hi Chris,
CAP actually has a specific checklist question on Negative Controls.
The question is ANP.22570 and if
I remember correctly it is quite extensive. Most of the CAP questions are
about 7 to 10 lines. The Negative control question is more than a page long.
Get your hands a copy of the most current checklist for anatomic pathology -
That will include Immunohistochemistry.

By the way, the rule is that a negative control must be included with each run and there
is much, much more.

ANP.22570

Good Luck,
Dana Settembre
Immunohistochemistry Lab
University Hospital - UMDNJ
Newark, NJ

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Christopher Jacobs
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2012 9:31 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Cc: cjacobs <@t> clinpath.com
Subject: [Histonet] Negative controls and CAP

Histonetters,

I have been made the IHC lead in a fairly large laboratory
that is seeking to become CAP accredited. I am definitely a newbie when it
comes to CAP. A question was brought up today about how we do our negative
controls. Specifically, should we run another negative control with any IHCs
that need to be repeated or if we should run another negative control if at a
later date a pathologist orders additional IHCs on a case. With our current
protocol, we run one negative control per detection kit used, per case.
Consequently, most cases end up with just one negative control slide. We do NOT
run another negative control if we have to repeat one of a group of immunos or
if a pathologist orders additional stains at a later point. I am wondering if
this is good practice, and acceptable with CAP. I would love to find some
literature that could help me make a case either way on this. Actually, any
literature or pointers regarding IHCs and becoming CAP accredited will probably
help save what little hair I have left.

Thank you,

Chris Jacobs, HT(ASCP)QIHC