[Histonet] Negative controls and CAP

Christopher Jacobs chrispjaz <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Jul 13 20:30:51 CDT 2012

Histonetters,

I have been made the IHC lead in a fairly large laboratory
that is seeking to become CAP accredited. I am definitely a newbie when it
comes to CAP. A question was brought up today about how we do our negative
controls. Specifically, should we run another negative control with any IHCs
that need to be repeated or if we should run another negative control if at a
later date a pathologist orders additional IHCs on a case. With our current
protocol, we run one negative control per detection kit used, per case.
Consequently, most cases end up with just one negative control slide. We do NOT
run another negative control if we have to repeat one of a group of immunos or
if a pathologist orders additional stains at a later point. I am wondering if
this is good practice, and acceptable with CAP. I would love to find some
literature that could help me make a case either way on this. Actually, any
literature or pointers regarding IHCs and becoming CAP accredited will probably
help save what little hair I have left.

Thank you,

Chris Jacobs, HT(ASCP)QIHC