[Histonet] Another Microscope Question

Reilly, Laurie laurie.reilly <@t> jcu.edu.au
Tue Jul 10 18:21:56 CDT 2012

Dear All,
My microscope training has been mainly on brightfield microscopes using Koehler illumination.
Recently, in discussions with Veterinary Pathologists, they have been advocating winding the condenser way down to the field diaphragm when they are examining urine samples. This goes against the microscopy principles that I have been taught and now teach to our students.
Can anyone enlighten me on the value of this practice? Could the same effect be obtained by closing the aperture diaphragm?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Regards,   Laurie.

Mr. Laurie REILLY
Histopathology
School of  Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences
James Cook University
Townsville  Qld.  4811
Australia.

Phone 07 4781 4468