[Histonet] Re: [PATHO-L] refreshing perspective on formaldehyde

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 13:26:01 CDT 2012

A couple of provocative replies about formaldehyde outside the
pathology laboratory. In one hospital the specimens have to be
submitted in saline and transferred to formalin in the lab, while in
the other glyoxal (a different aldehyde fixative) was successfully
substituted.

First of all, since where does a nursing supervisor or a hospital
administrator get the authority to practice pathology? And what
pathologist (a lot, alas) is so ignorant of the basics of managing
tissue as to think that biopsy specimens can be put in saline? (And
I've seen worse - in one hospital the nurses insisted that
bronchoscopic specimens be sent out dry, and left in a receiving area
with no one present there.)

If I were not allowed an aldehyde fixative at all, I'd resort to the
transport media often misrepresented as fixatives, and move the
specimen to formaldehyde in the lab. Though I'd prefer glyoxal if I
could slip it by the MBAs, though as Don Ross notes you have to
readjust all your immunohistochemistry for the different fixative.

If you're going to do histology, you've got to know your materials.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN