[Histonet] RE: Interviewing Histotechs...

Rathborne, Toni trathborne <@t> somerset-healthcare.com
Tue Jan 31 13:46:39 CST 2012

I too have had experience in both clinical and research settings. I have also interviewed applicants from both areas as well. The point made about new grads of on-line programs is something that I am now becoming more familiar with. We have our first student now, and she is doing very well. Her program started the beginning of the month, and I have given her more blocks to embed and cut than required by the program. We did have one person interview who graduated from one of these programs and had taken his HT exam. Unfortunately, his embedding and microtomy skills were not as good as that of even our current student.
It is up to those of us who are fortunate enough to have students at our facilities, to give them plenty of opportunity to succeed not just on their written exams, but with actual hands-on training. Not just enough to submit a few slides at the end of the program, but to be able to keep a respectable pace while performing a variety of tasks. The applicant that we had who went through a program, obviously did not have much opportunity to get any extra bench time in. He explained to us some of the other tasks that he performed during his training, which is fine, and should be required, but it also took time away from essential skills that he needed to improve on.
We debated quite a bit about whether we should hire this applicant. He seemed to be a good fit with staff, and was very eager to learn. The up side to this is that we could have trained him ourselves. The down side, was that we would have to take away tech time to spend with him, and not have him handle patient specimens until he was determined to be competent. At the time, we had a lot of vacation scheduled, and hiring him would have been more of an inconvenience than working short.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Marcum, Pamela A
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:06 PM
To: 'Jerry Ricks'; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: Interviewing Histotechs...

I have done both clinical and research and that comment happens in both areas about teaching me how to do that kind of work from doctors.  Before you say monkeys maybe you should try it full time in clinical and find out what you are talking about.  After 47 years I am still learning both areas as nothing is static and egos will get you in trouble.

Pam Marcum