[Histonet] Interview Questions

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 26 04:15:29 CST 2012

Ask the type of questions that require multiple layers, with explanations
and other examples.
Give me a time when XXXX, and how you handled it?
Why?
What else do you think you could have done? Why?
What was the outcome?
Were you satisfied with it? Why?
Can you give me another example?

Ask at least three "deeper" questions on each topic. Most people have a
"prepared" answer. You want to get to the "have to really think about it"
level, where you might find out what they really think.

Don't accept a one sentence answer. Give long pauses. People get
uncomfortable, and just start talking to fill in the silence. Again, that's
when you might find out what they really think.

Talk about when things didn't go right. Find out how they handle those
times. Most people can go with the flow when everything is going smoothly at
work. It's those "other" times that we need to know how people will react.

Don't accept "oh, that's never happened to me". EVERYONE has had a negative
time or person at work. If they won't talk about it, then they won't deal
with it when it happens at the new job, or they will handle in a way that
your business and coworkers won't like.

Ask about:
- negative times or people - who they didn't like working with or had
conflict with, or a time things didn't go right at work,  and why and what
they did to help the situation, and what was the outcome, looking back what
they could do differently.
- time they needed to be flexible (same type of follow up questions)
- time they had or work as a team, or a time when a team they were working
on didn't work well together
- time they had to change procedures or the work flow or priorities at work.
- why are they deciding to change their job at this time. Why, why, why.
- what they do in the slow times at work
- the best manager they ever had, the worst. why, why, why
- how they manage doing several tasks at the same time, how they keep track
of the projects
- stressful time at work - why was it stressful, what did they do to handle
it, what would they do different.
- continuing education - how they keep themselves informed about changes in
the field
- time they were evaluated unfairly, how they handled it, what was outcome,
how they could have handled it differently.
- significant accomplishment at work - what they did, why,
- what their plans are if not accepted into that position (find out if they
are willing to do anything to increase their chances next time (attend
workshops, online CEU, go back to college, become ASCP certified, whatever))

Last, if the job requires that they be ASCP certified (and I hope it does),
get a copy of the certificate, and then contact ASCP with their name and
ASCP certification number. Get it verified from ASCP that the number matches
the name. People are copying someone else's certificate, whiting out the
name, printing over their own name, copying it again, and passing it off as
their own.

Peggy Wenk