[Histonet] Oil red O versus Sudan 4

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Wed Jan 25 10:43:22 CST 2012

Candice

Most of the references regarding this technique use Sudan IV, that's what we use here. We use Oil Red O for the Aortic Root Sections but not for the En Face Analysis of the Aorta.  I have the Sudan IV procedure we use here if you would like it.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308-1592
(303) 682-3949 office
(303) 682-9060 fax
(303) 881-0763 cell
www.premierlab.com

Ship to address:

1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Candice Smoots
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:21 AM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] Oil red O versus Sudan 4

Hi Histonetters

I am staining the plaques in aorta. I perfuse my animal with pbs before I biospy the aorta. I then pin the aorta down onto a wax plate and  then i stain the inside of the aorta for my plaques.

This seems to work well with the Sudan 4 but not so much with the Oil red o. The person who was doing the sudan 4 is no longer here and we have plenty of Oil red o. My thinking was that it should stain the same but I am not getting results with the Oil red o.

My question is what is the difference and what should I do differently with the Oil red o?

Thanks so much for your help!

I remain yours truely,

Candice Camille