[Histonet] Reg: Tissue is hard to cut after processing

Arun Jyothi S.P arunjyothisp <@t> gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 07:25:10 CST 2012

Dear all,

We are having a hard time in cutting blocks. All our blocks especially
uterus, prostate chips etc became very hard after processing, we cant even
trim the blocks its very hard.
we use SLEE MTM automated tissue processor
and our schedule is
1, Formalin                            - 1hr          - ambient  - 40 degree
2, Formalin                            - 2 hr          - vacuum - 40 degree
3, 70% ethanol                       - 1hr          - vacuum  - Room temp
4, 95% ethanol                       - 1hr           - vacuum  - Room temp
5 and 6- 100% ethanol            - 1hr each   - vacuum - room temp
7, 100% ethanol                     - 1.30 hr      - vacuum  -  room temp
8, 9 and 10 - Xylene                - 1 hr each  - vacuum  - 30, 35, 40
degree respectively
11,12,13 and 14 - paraffin wax  - 1 hr each  - vacuum -  63 degree for all.

We use Merck paraffin wax of 56 degree M.P

Is there any problem with tissue processing schedule or something else is
wrong?

We are in a big problem really expecting some valuable suggestion and
advices.

with regards

ARUN JYOTHI S.P.
Histotechnologist