[Histonet] OCT embedded frozen tissue for paraffin embedding

Sarah Dysart sdysart <@t> mirnarx.com
Tue Jan 24 13:57:19 CST 2012

Yes, just wash out the OCT and fix as normal...Just remember that these tissues might not look the same as normal fixed tissues because they were frozen first.  Sometimes you can get cracking or freezing artifact.
Good Luck =)

Sarah Goebel-Dysart, BA, HT(ASCP)
Histotechnologist
Mirna Therapeutics
2150 Woodward Street
Suite 100
Austin, Texas  78744
(512)901-0900 ext. 6912

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sherwood, Margaret
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:51 PM
To: histonet
Subject: Re: [Histonet] OCT embedded frozen tissue for paraffin embedding

One of our investigators wants to take his frozen tissue (embedded in OCT) and
now fix in formalin for paraffin embedding.  I assume he needs to wash out the
OCT (?phosphate buffer that formalin is prepared in) and then fix in 10%
formalin.

I would appreciate feedback from the listers.

Thanks!
Peggy

Peggy Sherwood
Lab Associate, Photopathology
Wellman Center for Photomedicine (EDR 214)
Massachusetts General Hospital
50 Blossom Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
617-724-4839 (voice mail)