[Histonet] A nit to pick - background IHC staining

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Sat Jan 21 11:04:58 CST 2012

The MOM kits may minimize this but they do not eliminate the non specific
binding completely in my experience, macrophages and plasma cells are
particularly difficult to eliminate staining in.

Regards,
Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
IHCtech
12635 Montview Blvd. Ste.215
Aurora, CO 80045
720-859-4060
fax 720-859-4110
www.ihctech.net
www.ihcrg.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Theresa
(Teri) Johnson
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 9:13 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] A nit to pick - background IHC staining

Happy Friday to you all!

I just wanted to comment on the idea that when detecting mouse antibodies on
mouse tissues gives you background staining. I consider background staining
to be non-specific binding of some reagent to the tissue that is then
detected with the chromogen or fluorophore. Anti-mouse antibodies
specifically bind to the mouse Igs in the tissue as well as to the mouse Ig
labeled antigen from the antibody.

It's a nuisance and not specific to your target, but I don't consider it
background. As previously mentioned, mouse on mouse kits work well to
minimize this.

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
GNF Histology Lab Manager
Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation
858-332-4752