[Histonet] A nit to pick - background IHC staining

Theresa (Teri) Johnson TJohnson <@t> gnf.org
Fri Jan 6 10:13:10 CST 2012

Happy Friday to you all!

I just wanted to comment on the idea that when detecting mouse antibodies on mouse tissues gives you background staining. I consider background staining to be non-specific binding of some reagent to the tissue that is then detected with the chromogen or fluorophore. Anti-mouse antibodies specifically bind to the mouse Igs in the tissue as well as to the mouse Ig labeled antigen from the antibody.

It's a nuisance and not specific to your target, but I don't consider it background. As previously mentioned, mouse on mouse kits work well to minimize this.

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
GNF Histology Lab Manager
Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation
858-332-4752