[Histonet] saffron vs. safran du gatinais

Bernice Frederick b-frederick <@t> northwestern.edu
Fri Jan 6 07:36:56 CST 2012

We buy our alcoholic saffron from Rowley biochemical. Already made and reusable. We were still using it when it hit its expiration date. You can but all the Movat's reagents as a kit or but what you need.
Bernice

Bernice Frederick HTL (ASCP)
Senior Research Tech
Pathology Core Facility
ECOGPCO-RL
Robert. H. Lurie Cancer Center
Northwestern University
710 N Fairbanks Court
Olson 8-421
Chicago,IL 60611
312-503-3723
b-frederick <@t> northwestern.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of gayle callis
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:21 PM
To: 'Villarreal, Beth'; Histonet
Subject: RE: [Histonet] saffron vs. safran du gatinais

Beth,

In the past, people replied to Histonet with the suggestion to buy saffron
aka safran du gatinais from a grocery store spice section.   Depending on
where you are located e.g. a bigger city, try to find a store that sells
spices from India may have the freshest saffron.   However, you won't suffer
the sticker shock of buying it from a chemical supplier.  It still tends to
be expensive but not like chemical company prices.    Once we made the
alcoholic saffron solution for Movat's pentachrome, we stored this solution
in a container with a dessicant to maintain a water free environment.

I was fascinated that Tom actually grew and harvested saffron from the
flowers.   That is true devotion, but I suspect it was for those delicious
sounding "nubbies .

Good luck

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)