[Histonet] saffron vs. safran du gatinais

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Thu Jan 5 16:21:04 CST 2012

Beth,

In the past, people replied to Histonet with the suggestion to buy saffron
aka safran du gatinais from a grocery store spice section.   Depending on
where you are located e.g. a bigger city, try to find a store that sells
spices from India may have the freshest saffron.   However, you won't suffer
the sticker shock of buying it from a chemical supplier.  It still tends to
be expensive but not like chemical company prices.    Once we made the
alcoholic saffron solution for Movat's pentachrome, we stored this solution
in a container with a dessicant to maintain a water free environment.

I was fascinated that Tom actually grew and harvested saffron from the
flowers.   That is true devotion, but I suspect it was for those delicious
sounding "nubbies .

Good luck

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)