[Histonet] RE: Using Nail Polish on coverslip?

Leiker, Merced leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Thu Jan 5 07:24:10 CST 2012

I'll seal the coverslip around all the edges and let it dry in the hood for up to half an hour (because of the smell). I use a clear color that doesn't fluoresce under the miscroscope and also allows the slide to be stored at low temp (-20) without the nail polish seal cracking.  Also be sure the polish is toluene- and benzene-free.

We've discovered Revlon #771 Clear fits these parameters and works very well.
Cheaper nail polishes seem to crack or flake off at cold temps.

Regards,
Merced

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Kasai, Miki (NIH/NCI) [E]
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:14 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Using Nail Polish on coverslip?

We are currently starting up some IHC on frozen tissue sections.  After staining with different fluorescent antibodies, we end with applying DAPI w/Prolong gold and then coverslipping.  We would like to seal the coverslip so that we can keep the slides longer.

Any suggestions on where and how best to apply the nail polish for a permanent fix on the coverslips?

Thanks,