[Histonet] Epidermal Nerve Fiber Density testing

Harpreet Singh hsingh <@t> qcsciences.com
Tue Jan 3 14:32:30 CST 2012

I too am interested in setting up this test at my lab. I was curious as
to why PLP was being used as a collection medium and if sections less
than 50 um could be used. Other than fresh biopsies what other material
would be suitable for validations?

Harpreet Singh, M.S. HTL (ASCP)

Message: 5

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 11:35:51 -0500

From: Adrienne Kavanagh <adrienneapergs <@t> hotmail.com>

Subject: [Histonet] Nerve Fiber Density Testing

To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

Hi All,

I am setting up for a nerve fiber density test.  The specifics of the
procedure I have been provided with are vague.

It basically involves taking a punch biopsy of skin, fixing in PLP,
cryoprotecting, embedding in a sucrose solution to a frozen stage, cover
with dry ice, and section using a sliding microtome at 50 microns.  Then
staining the free-floating sections with a PGP 9.5 antibody.

If anyone is performing this testing, I would appreciate your response
(you may contact me privately if you wish).

Thanks!

Adrienne