[Histonet] RE: Cutting speed

Bea DeBrosse-Serra BDeBrosse-Serra <@t> isisph.com
Tue Jan 3 09:57:47 CST 2012

Teresa,

I totally agree with all the advice Toysha and Kim gave you.

The cutting speed will come with time and experience. Even though in a clinical environment everybody seems to push speed, the quality of the slide should not suffer. My thoughts are, to take your time to produce good quality slides, do the best you can and the speed will follow. Overall it sounds like you are doing a pretty good job already for a new graduate.

Bea

Beatrice DeBrosse-Serra HT(ASCP)QIHC
Isis Pharmaceuticals
Antisense Drug Discovery
2588 Gazelle Ct.
Carlsbad, CA 92010
760-603-2371

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Mayer,Toysha N
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 6:44 AM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Cutting speed

Teresa,
I agree with Kim.  Actually, the speed you desire will come with time, practice and workflow adjustment. You are not far off from where you should be, about 30 blocks/hr. 40 would be great, but you just graduated and got a job.  It usually takes me about 2 wks to get adjusted to a new microtome and its quirks. By the end of next week, you should be closer to your goal. If you are really concerned go to the pathologist and the supervisor and have a chat.  Go over expectations for all sides and things will get better.
Calm down, and ask for help when needed. Take one thing at a time, cutting, workflow, etc. Do your best work, and everything will come as you need it.

Toysha N. Mayer, MBA, HT (ASCP)
Instructor
Program in Histotechnology
School of Health Professions