[Histonet] Shiny side of a paraffin section

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Feb 29 09:25:13 CST 2012

Placing the shiny-side of the section on the water surface you assure that the sections corresponds to the block, of course you cannot turn-around the section. Also it will allow water tension to expand the section better and assures a better adhesion to the slide surface.
If the section is in a ribbon you will have to decide which in the ribbon to select and you should not turn around the section. Orientation should not be an issue unless you are always going to section the block in the same way if recuts are needed.
René J.

--- On Tue, 2/28/12, Lucie Guernsey <lguernsey <@t> ucsd.edu> wrote:

From: Lucie Guernsey <lguernsey <@t> ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] Shiny side of a paraffin section
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 6:56 PM

As all of us who cut paraffin know, the underside of each section as it
comes off the blade is shiny. I've always accepted it as a fact that the
shiny side always goes down on the water bath, but I've begun to wonder
why. Is there a specific reason why we're all taught to put the shiny side
down? What would the difference be between a 'properly' collected section
and a rebelliously collected shiny-side up section? Does it even matter?

Thanks!
Lucie

Lucie Guernsey
UC San Diego