[Histonet] Shiny side of a paraffin section

Lucie Guernsey lguernsey <@t> ucsd.edu
Tue Feb 28 17:56:24 CST 2012

As all of us who cut paraffin know, the underside of each section as it
comes off the blade is shiny. I've always accepted it as a fact that the
shiny side always goes down on the water bath, but I've begun to wonder
why. Is there a specific reason why we're all taught to put the shiny side
down? What would the difference be between a 'properly' collected section
and a rebelliously collected shiny-side up section? Does it even matter?

Thanks!
Lucie

Lucie Guernsey
UC San Diego