[Histonet] Cytokeratin AE1/AE3

Richard Cartun Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org
Tue Feb 28 12:47:59 CST 2012

It may be specific labeling of "extra-follicular dendritic cells" that contain low molecular weight cytokeratin and, if your IHC assay is truly optimized, you won't be able to get rid of it.  I use the LMW CK mAb clone 5D3 that labels CK8/18 and I see this reactivity all the time.  I like it because it serves as an internal positive control.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596 Office
(860) 545-2204 Fax

>>> Joanne Clark <jclark <@t> pcnm.com> 2/28/2012 11:27 AM >>>
Hi Histonetters, I am having some issues with my Cytokeratin AE1/AE3.  We use the antibody from DAKO and do HIER on it before staining.  We run AE1/AE3 as a protocol on sentinel lymph nodes from breast cases that were negative on frozen section to rule out micro metastases and what my pathologists sometimes sees is staining that looks like it's running in-between the cells.  It is not an indication of metastases but my pathologists want me to get rid of it.  Have any of you seen anything like this?  I would especially appreciate the opinion of Samuri Pathologist on this if it isn't too much trouble.

Thanks all!

Joanne Clark, HT
Histology Supervisor
Pathology Consultants of New Mexico