[Histonet] Re: Does xylene cause skin cancer?

Jerry Ricks rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Feb 23 16:31:38 CST 2012

As far as I know Xylene is not a conformed carcinogen.  On the other hand the structure is close to that of Benzene which is a confirmed human carcinogen.  It's an aromatic hydrocarbon, so why take chances.  It makes sense to 1) minimize use. 2) Use fume hoods when possible.  3) Wear PPE--nitrile gloves not latex!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylene

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/xylene/health_xyl.html

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/benzene/health_ben.html#_1_6

Jerry Ricks