[Histonet] Does xylene cause skin cancer?

Goins, Tresa TGoins <@t> mt.gov
Wed Feb 22 11:14:40 CST 2012

Nitrile gloves are recommended for all the chemicals we use in our lab except acetone - for acetone latex is recommended.
We also coverslip by hand but we wear nitrile gloves without exception.

Tresa

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jenny Vega
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:18 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Does xylene cause skin cancer?

I am asking this because in my job we mount slides by hand, and my coworkers don't like to use gloves because it leaves a residue of latex in the back of the slides. I really don't feel comfortable mounting without gloves because I heard that xyelene can cause cancer. Some people I know personally has told me that this is not possible, but I read in some places that xylene could a possible carcinogen.

I have already gotten contact with xylene in my hands a couple of times and I am worried.

Thanks.