[Histonet] QA by pathologists

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 15:33:36 CST 2012

Akemi Allison asks:

>>What % QA do most pathologists do internally? I'm trying to update my AP Manual. My last CLIA inspection, they told me to put in my AP Manual that it is done and get a binder labeled "discrepancies".  If there are any...<<

As far as I know, there is no percentage requirement like the
burdensome and useless 10% rescreen on Pap smears. In my travels I've
seen:

One three-pathologist group did 100% review before sign-out.

At least two services I've seen did a 10% review, cases chosen at
random. This seemed really pointless.

One service did a 10% review, with the originating pathologist
choosing the cases to be reviewed. This fairly productive.

One five-pathologist service meticulously documented informal
consultation, both in the report and on a separate piece of paper.
They aimed at, and got, a 2.8% review. In a multiple pathologist
practice, I think this was the most productive method I ever saw.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN