[Histonet] (no subject)

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 14:55:30 CST 2012

About not using diastase for PASD because "there are active enzymes in the tissue": that is wrong because those are the same enzymes active in any tissue just before it is fixed. Also remember that you are going to fix with EthOL. The whole issue behind the PASD (as you well know) is to compare the results of the PAS with and without diastase, so your co-worker is wrong.
As to not heating the silver for GMS I do see any reason to not doing that. If you do not heat it you will get something different to GMS. Perhaps your co-worker is fearful that the section may peel-off because of the heat but, other than that, there is no reason.
René J.

--- On Tue, 2/14/12, Ingles Claire <CIngles <@t> uwhealth.org> wrote:

From: Ingles Claire <CIngles <@t> uwhealth.org>
Subject: [Histonet] (no subject)
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Tuesday, February 14, 2012, 2:22 PM

Hey histo gurus:
Just a little twist for you. We are planning on doing GMS and PASD on frozen skin sections. Is there any change in staining protocol for paraffin vs frozen. We plan on fixing in ETOH. I have a co-worker saying that we don't need to use diastase on the PASD because there are already active "enzymes" in the tissue as it is fresh. He also said that we don't need to heat the silver for the GMS. Not sure why. These changes don't seem right to me. But I have been wrong before (Yes, I admit it). Thanks for all the wisdom out there floating in the electrons. We are staining for fungus BTW.
Claire