[Histonet] Breast IHC testing

Kuhnla, Melissa Melissa.Kuhnla <@t> chsli.org
Fri Feb 3 11:32:08 CST 2012

Hi,
Keep in mind some of the responses I have seem so far are for just IHC.
I think there is some literature stating that over fixation affects FISH
less, but we perform FISH only and still stay under 48hrs.  We use
Pathvysion probes and the package insert also recommends not exceeding
48 hours, as signals will fade.
We currently have a short step on the processor where tissue is held in
70% alcohol.  We have certain specimen collection cut off times so
everything is fixed between 6 and 4 hours.  Three day, holiday weekends
we have technologists come in on Saturday and embed everything.
Melissa :)

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gale
Limron
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 10:24 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Breast IHC testing

I would like to know what other hospitals are doing with breast
specimens that are resected on Friday and are in formalin longer than
the maximum number of hours that CAP allows for ER/PR  and HER2/neu
testing. We are running into this problem since we don't currently work
Saturday hours.
Thank you!
Gale Limron CT,HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Union Hospital
659 Boulevard
Dover, Ohio 44622
330-343-3311 ext 2562

This e-mail is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential
or otherwise protected from disclosure. Dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than
the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you
received this message in error, please delete without copying and kindly
e-mail a reply to inform us of the mistake in delivery.