[Histonet] CAP and negative IHC controls

Richard Cartun Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org
Fri Dec 28 15:03:04 CST 2012

That decision needs to be made by your Medical Director.  In my laboratory we use polymer detection for almost all of our IHCs and, therefore, I don't require a "Negative Reagent Control" for those cases.  We have one antibody that requires avidin-biotin detection and we run a negative reagent control in parallel whenever we run that antibody.  In my experience, if you are using polymer detection and your antibodies are properly optimized and validated, the negative reagent control slide serves no useful purpose and, therefore, is not needed.

Best wishes to everyone on Histonet for the coming New Year!

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596
(860) 545-2204 Fax

>>> <jsjurczak <@t> comcast.net> 12/28/2012 3:18 PM >>>
How is everyone interpreting the CAP rule about using negative controls? Do we still need a negative with each patient slide?