[Histonet] Melanin Bleaching

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Dec 26 15:47:23 CST 2012

Melanin bleaching has to be done prior to the IHC procedure and the most reliable way is using potassium permanganate. Any other option will produce less than optimal results.
René J.

From: Janci Wellborn <JWellborn <@t> bjc.org>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:39 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Melanin Bleaching

I am looking for alternatives to the potassium permanganate melanin bleaching procedure when doing IHC. I have seen literature references to doing a 3% H2O2 at 55 C after the IHC staining. I have also done a Giemsa counterstain in the past. Does any one have either procedure that they would be willing to share?

We are a small volume lab and the costs associated with bringing in a different color IHC kit is not justified.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Janci

Janci R Wellborn, HTL (ASCP)
Laboratory Technical Coordinator