[Histonet] Re: Basis for Quality Work in a Histotech

O'Donnell, Bill billodonnell <@t> catholichealth.net
Thu Dec 20 14:12:12 CST 2012

I agree that the verbal approach is swiftest. I remember one lab that I
worked in where we did daily QA sheets for overall quality. Specifics
might be noted, but since I didn't always get the sheets back the same
day - they weren't of much real help. Anyway, one day the pathologists
tells me he thinks I need to look at the hematoxylin as it was staining
"funny". Sure enough, it was.

I inquired when he first noticed it and he said "oh, it's been several
days". I looked at the sheets and everything was marked satisfactory. I
got rid of the sheets, documented my own daily checks, and simply asked
the paths how they thought things looked each day. They reviewed and
signed off on the sheets at the end of the month, but I got first hand
feedback which actually meant something and problems got solved in a
more timely manner. I'm sure this experience is not unique, but since
that event I have always insisted that the pathologist come directly to
the lab when they have a problem with any aspect of the work. It's
amazing what a little communication will do.