[Histonet] Synoptic Reporting

Michael Mihalik mike <@t> pathview.com
Fri Dec 14 10:54:29 CST 2012

Good morning Anita,

Here's a response from an IT vendor perspective:

While I am by no means an expert at the interpretation of CAP, CMS, or any
of the other myriad of regulations that we must comply with, it's always
been my understanding that the use of synoptic templates was somewhat of a
'grey' area.  My take on things is that you don't 'have' to use the actual
CAP templates, but you must ensure that the questions in those templates are
addressed in your patient report.

We have certain sites that would rather not pay CAP's cost to use their
templates, so we've given them the ability to create their own templates.
Depending on your LIS vendor, perhaps you have this ability.  If not, there
is no reason why you couldn't use WORD or Dragon or whatever word processing
tool you possess to create templates or autocorrect entries that ensure that
the required questions are addressed.

There are other aspects of this question that could be dealt with, but I'll
leave that up for further discussion should the group, or yourself, wish to
entertain them.  Off the top of my head, I think of sending discrete
data/answer elements to other systems for research or federal funding
purposes.  There's also the issue of which agency you are trying to comply
with, CAP vs cancer institute vs others.

I’m anxious to hear other people's take on this subject as I think we will
see a continual increased use and requirement for synoptic reporting.

Bottom line, I see a day when all surgical reports will be required to be
resulted/reported in a synoptic fashion.

Michael Mihalik
PathView Systems | cell: 214.733.7688 | 800.798.3540 | fax: 952.241.7369