[Histonet] Alcian Blue

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Sat Dec 8 06:26:04 CST 2012

AB is a basic dye that is water soluble, it reacts with anionic groups. The "classic" manual methods I checked use 30 minutes incubation times. What cells is your pathologist wanting to highlight, mucins? The general method uses acetic, and the methods for sulfated  AMS, uses 1 N HCL. I guess we need to know if you are doing the general method and automated or manual- It might be a pH issue as much as the staining times. What is your control tissue?

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC