[Histonet] Trichrome

Massimo max_histo_00 <@t> yahoo.it
Wed Dec 5 17:52:53 CST 2012

Hi,
In Trichrome staining not excellent results are always obtained by fixing in NBF alone.
Often the advised fixatives are:
- Sublimate-acetic
- Zenker's liquid
- Telleyesnicky' s liquid
- Müller's liquid added with a formalin solution
- or re-fixing  by Bouin's liquid

I'm talking about staining by hand.

Best Regards,

Massimo Tosi
"A humble Chemical Engineer who loves Histology"

________________________________
 Da: Cheryl <tkngflght <@t> yahoo.com>
A: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Inviato: Martedì 4 Dicembre 2012 14:18
Oggetto: [Histonet] Trichrome

Hi- need help troubleshooting a trichrome.  The stain on the Nexus stainers is inconsistent.  Taking it off the stainer and doing it by hand with a kit has similar results.

The tissue is NBF fixed needle biopsies on kidney.  There is a little mechanical damage on the edges of the tissue but the collagens are staining too light and the red overstains.  The normal tissue as control is beautiful -- I know I know--don't force the stain--but it doesn't make sense to have this much variation from a kit or auto stainer...

Help?

Cheryl Kerry, HT(ASCP)
Path Group of Louisiana