[Histonet] Fixation time

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 12:15:57 CST 2012

You would have been better off leaving the tissues in formalin. You just would have to make sure HIER is correct (had you used your tissues for IHC procedures).
Mice and rat tissues which are very lean, will suffer more in alcohol than in formalin.
I would go back to formalin.
René J.

From: Daniela Bodemer <daniela.bodemer <@t> mcri.edu.au>
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2012 12:00 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Fixation time

Hi all,

Our tissue processor has been shut down due to a contamination issue and
now all the tissues (mice and rat pelves) collected prior to this
happening have been sitting in 4% PFA. Some tissues more than a week,
when we usually fix for 48 hours.

Now we are transferring the tissues to 70% Ethanol and they will sit
there until further notice. I am concerned about this process and what
it will do to the tissue and would like your thoughts on this.

Many thanks,

DB

Research Assistant