[Histonet] Gloves

Jonathan Cremer Jonathan.Cremer <@t> med.kuleuven.be
Wed Aug 22 01:12:12 CDT 2012

Xylene will penetrate nitrile gloves within minutes, so it's good practice to change gloves when they're wetted with xylene.
You can check this yourself by sniffing your hands after pulling off gloves contaminated with xylene, you'll know if a 'considerable' amount of xylene has come through.
---
Jonathan Cremer

Van: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] namens Tim Wheelock [twheelock <@t> mclean.harvard.edu]
Verzonden: dinsdag 21 augustus 2012 22:03
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Onderwerp: [Histonet] Gloves

Hi Pam:

I use nitrile gloves that we get from our Central Supply Room when
handling xylene and cover-slipping by hand.
They are Kimberly-Clark Sterling Nitrile Powder-Free Exam Gloves.
I use just a single glove rather than double-gloving, and that seems to
do the trick.
The glove usually does not break.
However, now that you mention it, I wonder if a single layer really
totally prevents penetration of xylene or not.

Tim

Tim Wheelock
Harvard Brain Bank
McLean Hospital