[Histonet] Re: disposal of formalin

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 12:45:59 CDT 2012

Proper disposal of formaldehyde is a topic that has been discussed
many times on Histonet - Google:

histosearch formalin disposal

A great deal of misinformation circulates about this subject. I think
basically it's what your local regulatory agencies - particularly the
water department - want you to do. I'd particularly look at Dr. John
Kiernan's note. Most of this discussion was around the turn of the
century, and may be out of date.

What I wrote on Histonet in 1999 still holds: We need to distinguish
in our thinking among:

*the environmental facts about what happens to formaldehyde
* the rules imposed by regulatory agencies
* the deceptions and concealments of commercial interests
* the blind faith of most end users
* and last, and definitely least, the fond musings of elderly pathologists.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN