[Histonet] Re: Two identifiers...

Michael Mihalik mike <@t> pathview.com
Thu Aug 16 04:04:17 CDT 2012

Bob, I absolutely concur with your thoughts, but in the LIS we offer, the
moment you scan the slide, the 'paperwork' displays on the screen
automatically, effectively negating the need to match paperwork with the
slide.

We also always recommend BIG monitors  or even dual monitors to make it
easier to see.  Imagine the paperwork on one monitor and a 'work' screen on
the other monitor.

Michael Mihalik
PathView Systems | cell: 214.733.7688 | 800.798.3540 | fax: 952.241.7369

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bob Richmond
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:11 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Two identifiers...

If a pathologist end-user may make an observation here:

When I pick up a slide and look to match it with the paperwork in front of
me, it's a great help if the patient's name is on the slide, since names are
always easier to read than numbers. Having the patient's name on the slide
means I'm less likely to mix up two cases.
I can't do that with a bar code or a second essentially meaningless number.

This may however be a situation where good patient care must take a back
seat to good management practice and good regulator compliance.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN