[Histonet] Re: Two identifiers...

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Aug 16 00:24:56 CDT 2012

Yes I can see how that would be easier for the Pathologist. Also you certainly fall into "need to know". HIPPA applies for information when it gets electronically transmitted, so not so much the physical slide would be my assumption. Some places just want to be very cautious I guess, and are concerned about associating the name with the number, though you would still need to find a way to access anymore information in the system or papers. I am not saying I agree with this interpretation necessarily, just that is what I have experienced so far, perhaps it is overkill?  I know that one issue I see is that when people see a name of someone they think they know in the lab itself, it makes them much more curious and they are tempted to look them up- a friend, neighbor, co-worker. Of course most LIS audit for this, but not only is this very offensive when you hear this person's information reported and discussed out in the lab, it is one of the reasons I support HIPPA generally despite its burdens. And also why I try never to have my own specimens go to a lab I am working at or know anyone.  I realize barcodes are not helpful to people doing handling unfortunately, but they do  help avoid transcription errors, offer an additional layer to disguise the information from those who don't need it and might be overly curious,  and allow tracking for workflow- but many people still prefer human-manual labeling methods.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC