[Histonet] RE: Teabags (Contact HistoCare)

Mayer,Toysha N TNMayer <@t> mdanderson.org
Mon Aug 6 09:10:26 CDT 2012

You can use teabags to give specimens shape such as EMB and ECC.  Those lose particles may not wash through a microcassette, but would just be loose pieces in there if not in a bag.  You try to pick up those tiny pieces out of the corners.  In a bag you can scrape them off, shape them and put them in the mold. Small individual samples such as GI biopsies can go in a biopsy cassette.
Great question, I am going to add it to my exam for my students.

Toysha N. Mayer, MBA, HT (ASCP)
Instructor, Education Coordinator
Program in Histotechnology
School of Health Professions
MD Anderson Cancer Center
(713) 563-3481
tnmayer <@t> mdanderson.org

Hi all,

Just a curiosity of mine, having contracted for many places I've seen many different processes, some efficient and some inefficient. I find a lot of labs do what they've always done just because they've always done something a certain way for so long whether it's useful or not and generally are not interested in change.

One of these things I'm referring to is using teabags. I know some of you LOVE them, but there are few things I loathe more than trying to dig out a tiny biopsy sample from a teabag along with trying to open it while being stuck together by the wax.

Why in the world would anyone ever use teabags when there are microcassettes and even biopsy cassettes?

Please let me hear it.

www.HistoCare.com
Histology Staffing for your Lab