[Histonet] Rodent processing and artifactual spaces

Jackie O'Connor b427297 <@t> aol.com
Thu Aug 2 14:08:56 CDT 2012

We trim our tisues the day after necropsy, put the cassettes back in formalin for a few hours on the processor before it starts.  Our sections are durn perfect, if I do say so myself. One of the things I have found important for rodent tissues is to face the blocks and leave them on wet ice for about an hour before taking sections.  No chatter whatsoever.  We routinely cut at 5 microns.

Jackie O'

-----Original Message-----
From: Katherine Murphy <katherine.o.murphy <@t> gmail.com>
To: Elizabeth Chlipala <liz <@t> premierlab.com>
Cc: Jackie O'Connor <b427297 <@t> aol.com>; rjbuesa <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>; histonet <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Thu, Aug 2, 2012 1:39 pm
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Rodent processing and artifactual spaces

Thanks for the suggestions. Just a note about the processing
rotocol...I just recently switched to the lower percentages of
lcohol recently to try to remedy the horrible dryness and
icrochatter I was getting using a 70%, 95% X 2, 100% x 3, xylene x 3
et up where shortening processing times was not solving the problem!
hanging the reagent set up solved the microchatter problem but now
his other separation artifact has appeared.