[Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 101, Issue 32

Davide Costanzo pathlocums <@t> gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 18:17:01 CDT 2012

Very well spoken. You will note that neither of us raised this subject, but
did respond to a post previously entered. And, as I clarified to another
person here privately, the problem with CLIA does not just mean we are
going after HT's that gross - CLIA allows ANYONE with those very minimal
requirements to gross. Most gross techs are not HT's, most are off the
street people with the bare bones required by law, that are taught on the
job to toss biopsies into cassettes. And, many of these people do much
larger cases as well - all legally under CLIA "88. It's a problem, and it
is not meant to upset anyone on here. Most of those techs, as I stated, are
not HT's and are not on this site anyway. The proper forum of course is to
reach out to government officials and try and get that law changed. Perhaps
we will. A lot of progress has been made in the area over the years, now we
just need to modify the laws to reflect the times within which we live.

I did want to point out one thing though - there was a comment about saving
money in healthcare, and that was a valid reason to employ a grossing tech.
Let's be clear on this subject - there is a BOAT LOAD of money in the
technical component of AP services. This is why you see GI docs and
Urologists all over the nation opening their own histo labs. They want to
cash in. The reimbursement for technical charges is public knowledge - look
it up and you will find the Medicare rates for your area very publicly
posted by Medicare. It's not a secret. Take those rates, multiply by 80%
because even Medicare does not really pay what they say and then multiply
it out for your volume. Be sure to include all your 88305's and other
standard charges, and add all the fees for your stains, frozen sections,
decalcifying, etc. When you see just what Medicare pays your site, then
look at your paycheck and ask yourself "Is my lab really suffering
financially?" Probably not. And that is based upon Medicare rates, the
truth is the lab makes more than that because most insurers pay higher than
Medicare. Where does the money go? I don't think I have to tell you.

--
*David Costanzo, MHS, PA (ASCP)*
Project Manager