[Histonet] GMS on toenails

jstaruk jstaruk <@t> masshistology.com
Mon Apr 23 08:44:35 CDT 2012

We soak toenail specimens in 4% ammonia hydroxide the day before (before
processing).  After embedding, the nails are immediately sectioned and
mounted on slides which were previously dipped in 5% gelatin.  An H&E, PAS
and GMS is done on each nail specimen.  This procedure speeds up the overall
turn-around time and prevents sections from falling off.

Jim

_______________________
James E. Staruk HT(ASCP)
 www.masshistology.com
   www.nehorselabs.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Santiago,
Albert
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 8:24 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] GMS on toenails

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Scott,
Allison D
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:23 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] GMS on Toenail

Hello to all in histoland.  We have a stubborn toenail that keeps coming off
when we try to do a GMS stain on the ventana machine.  Any suggestions on
how to keep the section on the slide during the staining procedure.

Allison Scott HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
LBJ Hospital
Houston, Texas

Hello Allison, we do PAS and GMS on toenails just about every day since we
have a nail clinic in our department. First we dip our slides in Stay On
solution (SurgiPath) and allow them to dry then we soak the faced nail block
in 4% Ammonium Hydroxide for 45-60 minutes before we cut a ribbon and place
on slides. We let the slides sit in a 70 degree oven for about 45 minutes,
we Deparaffinize, hydrate to DH2O and we stain on the Artisan Special Stain
stainer. Works every time. If it keeps falling off you might need to do it
manually. Good Luck