[Histonet] proliferation and apoptosis

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Thu Apr 19 16:37:26 CDT 2012

I agree with Jackie, we use Ki-67 all of the time and I have never seen it stain apoptotic cells, could you possibly be dealing with some background staining due to the detection system used?  I do not know what type of samples you are staining?  We have 4 different Ki-67 antibodies we use depending upon the type of tissue we are staining.  For human xenograft samples in a mouse background we use the rabbit polyclonal from Santa Cruz.  We also use cleaved caspase 3 as a marker of apoptosis routinely.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308-1592
(303) 682-3949 office
(303) 682-9060 fax
(303) 881-0763 cell
www.premierlab.com

Ship to address:

1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jackie O'Connor
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:23 PM
To: NMargaryan <@t> childrensmemorial.org; histonet-request <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] proliferation and apoptosis

Ki67 does not stain apoptotic cells. Why do you have that impression?  Caspase-3 is a great marker for apoptotic cells. TUNEL will show apoptosis as well as necrosis, but not proliferation.   I've used Ki67 for proliferation  and Caspase 3 for apoptosis routinely in cancer research for years.

Jackie