[Histonet] Pinning Specimen

Walter Benton wbenton <@t> cua.md
Thu Apr 19 08:59:03 CDT 2012

At previous institutions I purchased rolls or sheets of cork and that allowed us to pin and float samples like neck dissections, segments of colon etc.... I know Fisher sells the sheets and the roll of cork we purchased from an internet retailer. Just do a Google or Amazon search.

Making the paraffin blocks is easy as well. You can take any plastic container and pour off fresh paraffin or use paraffin from a tissue processor when you are disposing of it to make molds.

Hope this helps.

Walter Benton HT(ASCP)QIHC
Histology Supervisor
Chesapeake Urology Associates
806 Landmark Drive, Suite 126
(All Deliveries to Suite 127)
Glen Burnie, MD 21061
443-471-5850 (Direct)
410-768-5961 (Lab)
410-768-5965 (Fax)
wbenton <@t> cua.md
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Victoria Baker [bakevictoria <@t> gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:16 AM
To: Heckford, Karen - SMMC-SF
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Pinning Specimen

Hi Karen -

Are yoru eferring to the boards that have the detachable mats?  I know they
still make them and the last one I heard of was through MOPEC.

I'm probably aging myself here, but we also used to make paraffin blocks
for large specimens and pin them flat for overnight fixation - it wasn't
pretty but it worked.

Hope this helps some.

Vikki