[Histonet] Cassette labeling problem

Tim Wheelock twheelock <@t> mclean.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 9 10:17:18 CDT 2012

Hi All:

Lately I have been having problems with the ink fading-and/or simply
coming off in pieces-from our processing cassettes.
I use Securline Marker 2/Superfrost pens.
The writing seems to hold fine even if the cassettes sit in formalin for
several weeks.

So I am assuming that the problem comes either in the processing or
embedding stage.
I think the ink was still fine when I removed the cassette basket from
the processor's retort, but I can't remember for sure.

Then, I let the cassettes sit in Surgipath Embedding Media for two hours
before embedding the tissue, since my Shandon XP processor has only 2
wax reservoirs.
I have noticed lately that pieces of ink are coming off of the cassettes
into the embedding media, making some-but not all-of the cassettes
impossible to read..
I have turned down the temperature of the cassette holding tank, in case
the temperature of the embedding media is pulling the ink off.

Has anyone experienced this before, and if so, how did you overcome it?
Are the Securline Marker 2/Superfrost pens appropriate for cassettes?

Thank you for any advice you can provide,

Tim Wheelock
Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center
McLean Hospital
Belmont, MA.