[Histonet] FORMALIN RECYCLER BY CREATIVE WASTES SOLUTIONS, ISSUES?

Kelly Buechel Kelly.Buechel <@t> thedacare.org
Wed Sep 28 11:50:41 CDT 2011

HI, my lab purchased  the Creative Waste Solutions Bench Top Formalin Recycler a year ago in October and we're considering discontinuing use because of some issues. I am posting this question hoping someone else has had similar issues and maybe has resolved them or does something we're not.

When we purchased the recycler we were told we could use the recycled formalin  for fixing any tissue (even breast and colon), and in our VIPS (processors).  We were also told by the company that we could recycle formalin from just about anywhere except from any fatty tissue or anything too bloody.

After a few months of use one of our pathologists complained that  the breasts weren't being properly fixed by the recycled formalin.  So we stopped using recycled formalin on breast tissue and on the processor that ran the extended run.

A few months after we cut back, the recycler was dispensing colored recycled formalin.  The company told me that this would happen, and that we must purchase two recyclers to filter one gallon of formalin from now on.   One recycler to put the dirty/discolored formalin thru, then a second recycler to clean the one gallon all ready recycled formalin so that it comes out clear.  We weren't recycling anything bloody, but the dyes from tissues would turn the formalin many colors.  Since we weren't sure if we were keeping the recycler and don't have a lot of space, why would we buy a second one?  So..we had to really limit what we could recycle.

Over the summer there have been many complaints about the way the tissue looks on the slides and questions if everything is being properly fixed.  We test the pH of every bottle of recycled formalin before use.  We do maintenance on the BTFRS monthly when it gets backed up and then assay the formalin until the correct percentage is found.  But still people were concerned that if we shouldn't use the recycled formalin on breast tissue, then why should we use it on any other tissue?  And that's where we are at.  We want to find a way to not dump formalin down the drain, but also fix our specimens the best way possible.  A formalin neutralizer seems like the way to go, but recycling sure did have its perks.

Can anyone relate or have any thoughts?